Saturday, March 1, 2008

This Month's Resolution

No plastic packaging.

Recently I was sent an e-mail by a wonderful friend about the work of photographer Chris Jordan. I am absolutely blown away. Mr. Jordan focuses a majority of his work on American society and consumerism. One of his latest projects is titled Running the Numbers where the intention is “…to emphasize the role of the individual in a society that is increasingly enormous, incomprehensible, and overwhelming.”

Prison Uniforms, 2007
Depicts 2.3 million folded prison uniforms, equal to the number of Americans incarcerated in 2005.


Plastic Bottles, 2007

Depicts two million plastic beverage bottles, the number used in the US every five minutes.



That is why my resolution of the month is to not buy any products that use plastic packaging. I have a feeling my avoidance of said products will not even create a dent in any sales or waste production, but perhaps this resolution will be a lesson. It will be interesting to see how difficult or easy this resolution will be to follow. Care to try it with me?

No comments: